Create Your Own Familiar

We've been traveling around the country visiting schools and at each one the students have created their own Familiar Story.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

ARC (Adam)

Today, I received my first ARC. That's Advanced Reading Copy for all of you (who like me three weeks ago) never heard of ARCs. And now that I have it, I find that the last thing I want to do with my Advanced Reading Copy is read it in advance. In fact, I don't want to read it at all. Bound and beautiful, I don't even want to crack it's spine.



Instead, I will keep it on my shelf. A high shelf out of reach of my three-year-old's hands. Maybe, even hidden, where my wife couldn't accidentally bend a corner or crease a page.

Better yet, I'm going to dip my ARC in bronze or gold. Any one of the precious metals.. doesn't matter which one as long as its shiny.

Perhaps a museum would be interested in storing it behind bullet-proof glass. Does the Smithsonian have middle reader fiction within its marble walls? Maybe not.

ARC... no, I will call mine a AFC. Advanced Framing Copy.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the first ARC!!!! How exciting is that? I'd probably do the same thing if I ever had an ARC of a book I'd written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd put mine in a glass case and gaze at it lovingly. An ARC of mine, I mean! ...Or I'd carry it everywhere and show it to every single person. While paying for my bill at the local Mexican place, "Would you like to see my book?"

    The cat on the cover looks like mine. And is that a blue jay? Cool!

    ReplyDelete