Create Your Own Familiar

We've been traveling around the country visiting schools and at each one the students have created their own Familiar Story.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

When I Grow Up, I Want To Be...

GUEST POST on A Few More Pages

As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a writer. In elementary school, my friend and I set out to write the great American novel. It was an anthology of stories (some finished, some unfinished). A brief sampling from the Table of Contents: Chapter 6 – “Butch Winthro, Detective,” Chapter 9 – “The Mystery of Blane Dickson,” and my personal favorite, Chapter 17 – “Hawaiian Mudballs.” I recently revisited the stories, some printed out on my Apple 2C old school typewriter paper, others handwritten on the back of my friend’s newspaper route carrier collection records. Looking back at these early efforts, I’m simultaneously mortified and inspired. And in some cases, even kind of impressed.

Here’s an excerpt from one of the stories, “The Laser Files: A Mission.”

“7 people were chosen for a mission. Their mission was to destroy a strange creature in a space ship. The ship was launched 10 years ago to probe Pluto. The 7 people were—Blowtorch: a soldier of fortune; Hacker: a computer hacker; Hilt: a hand to hand combat expert; Papers: a weapons manufacturer; Teddy: a smart alek pilot; Divebomb: a demolitions expert; and Raven: their leader.

Their mission was to find weather the aliens were friends or foe. If they were friends, take them to earth. If foes, destroy them.”

I might have been a grade schooler at the time, but my love of writing stories never waned. I grew up to be what I always dreamed. Now, if only I had a clue what “Hawaiian Mudballs” was supposed to be about.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I was inticed by the fact you made an account on the Warriors Forums to help with your advertizing.
    My name is Hailey, and I live in Canada with my four black cats, and my black Shepadoodle, Basil.

    When I was young, I always wanted to be an author, and was frequently trying to write stories, though never finished. Now it's between an Author, a graphics and animations designer, or something involving horticulture.

    If I choose to become an author, are there any tips you guys could give me?

    ReplyDelete